Many men and women desire a firmer and slimmer waistline but have trouble reaching their objectives with diet and exercise. Excess skin, stubborn fat, and damaged muscles can contribute to a displeasing abdominal appearance that does not respond to at-home efforts. Tummy tuck surgery gives patients the sculpted and attractive midsection of their dreams by eliminating bothersome folds of tissue and tightening the underlying musculature. Dr. Pedro Puebla is highly experienced with performing tummy tuck surgery and tailors each procedure to the unique anatomical needs of every patient. All of the cosmetic options that can help you achieve a stunning physique will be discussed during your initial consultation.
Ideal Candidates for Tummy Tuck
Ideal candidates for tummy tuck surgery can relate to one or more of the following aesthetic concerns:
- Abdominal skin laxity
- Stretch marks around or below the navel
- Diastasis recti (abdominal muscle laxity)
- Skin irritation due to having overlapping folds of skin along the midsection
Tummy Tuck Techniques
- Traditional: An incision is placed along the pubic area from one hip to the other. Through this incision, excess tissue is excised, and rectus muscles are repaired. A secondary incision may be placed around the navel. This method is appropriate for individuals with abdominal imperfections around and below the navel.
- Mini: A single incision, shorter than that of a traditional tummy tuck, is placed along the pubic area. Excess skin is removed, muscles are repaired, and the remaining skin is tightened. This technique is ideal for patients with abdominal concerns only below the navel.
- Extended: The incision created follows from the side of one hip to the other, going across the lower abdomen along the pubic line. This approach is best for patients who have excessive folds of abdominal tissue.
- Fleur-de-lis: This approach combines the traditional tummy tuck incision with a vertical midline incision, which allows for extensive correction. Patients who have had significant weight loss or bariatric surgery may qualify for this type of tummy tuck.
- Circumferential: This procedure involves placing an incision around the circumference of the abdomen, allowing for treatment of excess tissue at the front as well as the back of the torso. Post-weight loss or post-bariatric surgery patients may benefit from this technique.
Some patients benefit the most from pairing their tummy tuck with additional cosmetic procedures, especially if they struggle with compound concerns. Many tummy tucks are performed in conjunction with liposuction to achieve optimal abdominal contouring results. Women who desire breast enhancement and a slimmer midsection may wish to undergo a Mommy Makeover procedure package that provides comprehensive improvement. Those who have experienced massive weight loss may opt for a body lift, which includes various techniques alongside tummy tuck surgery to restore a patient’s physique and complement their new contours.
The length of a tummy tuck patient’s recovery depends on the techniques used and whether or not multiple procedures were performed simultaneously. Dr. Puebla provides the appropriate compression garments and aftercare directions, which help minimize postoperative side effects and improve overall comfort. Prescription medication also helps make the recovery period more relaxing and comfortable. All tummy tuck patients are offered a two-night stay at the hospital for observation and to reduce the chance of complications. Patients are scheduled to come in for a follow-up appointment 10 days after their procedure so that Dr. Puebla can evaluate the progression of the healing process.
There will be a noticeable difference in the abdominal contours after tummy tuck surgery, but residual swelling may obscure the final results for several months. Tummy tuck surgery provides permanent results. However, weight changes, pregnancy, and aging after surgery can alter the appearance of the midsection. It is recommended that tummy tuck patients lead a healthy lifestyle and do not plan to become pregnant after their procedure to maintain their results.
Crisalix 3D Imaging
Individuals who are considering plastic surgery with Dr. Puebla can visualize their potential results with Crisalix 3D imaging technology exclusively at our Tijuana office. The Crisalix 3D device creates a three-dimensional simulation of the target area(s) before surgery so patients can see what their improvements will look like using various techniques. Patients are given access to their Crisalix images during their initial consultation with Dr. Puebla.
Patients who undergo elective surgery can have a revision procedure in the future. No matter which cosmetic procedure you opt for, your body and face will continue to age naturally. If you have excess weight on your body, you may still experience fat deposits that need to be taken care of with additional liposuction treatments. The same goes for wanting a bigger buttocks or hips, extra rounds of treatment may be necessary to achieve your desired result. Aging, sagging, scarring, and other changes are attributed mainly to genetics and your aftercare routine. Should you desire revision surgery one year after your initial procedure, necessary fees may be required for the hospital, surgical facility, lab work, and medical supplies or devices (i.e., breast or facial implants). These revision surgeries will be personalized per patient, and there will always be a discounted rate available for return patients. Only patients who follow the recommended postoperative protocol and attend all follow-up appointments will qualify for the revision policy and associated courtesies.